Ken Smith Gang

brorzg

@ Khan jolie Smith ;) (toujours dispo pour me filer des cours de basse ? :closedeyes: )

Concernant la Smith BT4-86 :

Toujours sur Basschat, topic de vente d'un prorpio précédent, il y a débat autour du fait que cette basse aurait peut être été fabriquée par Fodera, au moment de la collaboration Smith/Fodera

Sans vouloir faire l'ancien, je viens juste d'apprendre cela. :closedeyes:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/106924-ken-smith-bt-from-1986-now-sold/

J'ai eu un échange de mail avec Ken Smith hier :

Hi Ken

Honoured to be pm late at night (mostly 2 am here) by Ken Smith himself !

I play actually on Roscoe LG3005 and i like it but it don’t has the “Smith Growl”

My band is going to play more and more funk / jazz / fusion stuff and i need a bass with that mojo requested

I plan to trade my Roscoe for a second (third ?, Fourth ?) hand old KSB and I’ve red, here and there, that this serie was built during the cooperation with Vinnie Fodera in 80’s

But anyway, this is not so important.

The bass is a BT4-86, Serial N° 86 266 with a dovetail set neck and a nice high grade flamed mapple top.

As a pure newbie, i would like to have some information on Pups, Electronic ...

Please apologize my poor english (french guy inside)

Cheers,

Franck

et sa réponse :

No, anything built when Fodera worked with/for me was before serial #200. This bass #266 (1986) was built here in Pennsylvania, not New York. Fodera never saw that bass. These were made better than anything Fodera touched. We started making basses in Pennsylvania in the end of 1985. Fodera worked with with and for me up untill that time but even in the first 199 basses, some were never touched by Fodera himself. No bass was ever completed in Brooklyn. I finished them all in my shop in NYC at that time from the beginning.

Thank you,

Ken Smith

President/Owner

Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

phone: 215-453-8887

www.kensmithbasses.com

www.smithbassforums.com

www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses

Donc le point est réglé, pas de sales pattes de Fodera sur cette basse !

Manifestement il y a un contentieux entre Ken et Vinnie car je trouve le ton de son mail pas hyper cool vis-à-vis de Fodera ..

• 4 weeks later...

Yeahhhh !! Je rentre dans le club ! Ma Ken Smith BT4 est a la maison !!

img0611hz.jpg

Touche ébène, incrustation flocon nacre

img0607s.jpg

Switch actif/passif - preamp BT = Basse/trebble

img0620fi.jpg

Set-neck Fodera - sustain de folie du NT + aigus de la bolt-on

Ronondjudju cette tuerie :blush::goute::p

Ca grogne vraiment méchamment et ca part en slap aussi vite qu'un lavement !

Des photos ici :dingue:!

Elle est de 1986 et a des traces d'usure près des micros et entre la touche et la corne inférieure, a croire qu'elle a été beaucoup slappée et jacotée..

Le son est tout simplement incroyable. Précis, chaud, rond dans les graves, cristallin dans les aigus.

• Micro manche, c'est de la grosse PB survitaminée et grognante sans jamais etouffer avec les basses.
  • Micro chevalet, c'est la fête à Pasto avec le treble cut mais aussi la fête aux harmoniques (y'en a partout) avec un sustain incroyable ...
  • Et les deux micros ensemble, en avant le fuunnnnnnnnnnnk et le son de ouf...

Ca sonne enorme en passif ! Avec une bête pareille, pas besoin de préamp , sauf pour booster Bass/Treble pour le slap !

Je savais que le son me plairait mais là, c'est au dela de ce que j'espérais ! :icon_vachelove:

Ken Smith c'est tout simplement ENNNNÔÔÔRMMMME :mf_lustslow:

Edited by zekragash

Me demande à combien ca reviendrai de la faire revernir... :rolleyes:

M'enfin elle perdrait un peu de son mojo...

J'me tate :closedeyes:

J'ai posé la question à Ken Smith, vla ce qu'il m'a répondu :

This is one of the first basses we made here in Pa. I think we used a Vinyl sealer and then thin coats of Nitro. That was the process for about the first few years in Pa. To re-finish it, you have to strip all the parts, take written notes of how they go back together, wiring's included, strip to bare wood, sand to a scratch-less surface and then start over. Try not to loose any thickness of the original wood to avoid problems of the parts fitting. If you can measure the difference with any kind of ruler in the wood after, you have taken too much off. Use only a dial caliper to mark your measurements at each stage of the process. Different that furniture, this has to maintain its specs.
Edited by zekragash